楼主| 发表于 2007-3-1 22:25:58 | 显示全部楼层
嘿嘿,辛苦公爵兄了。
不知道哪里可以买到皇帝的演讲集锦
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

同仁堂ellen 该用户已被删除
发表于 2007-4-1 13:16:43 | 显示全部楼层

我有一个梦想

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds." But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check — a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

As we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied, as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We can never be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring."

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

一百年前,一位伟大的美国人签署了解放黑奴宣言,今天我们就是在他的雕像前集会。这一庄严宣言犹如灯塔的光芒,给千百万在那摧残生命的不义之火中受煎熬的黑奴带来了希望。它之到来犹如欢乐的黎明,结束了束缚黑人的漫漫长夜。

然而一百年后的今天,我们必须正视黑人还没有得到自由这一悲惨的事实。一百年后的今天,在种族隔离的镣铐和种族歧视的枷锁下,黑人的生活备受压榨。一百年后的今天,黑人仍生活在物质充裕的海洋中一个穷困的孤岛上。一百年后的今天,黑人仍然萎缩在美国社会的角落里,并且意识到自己是故土家园中的流亡者。今天我们在这里集会,就是要把这种骇人听闻的情况公诸于众。

就某种意义而言,今天我们是为了要求兑现诺言而汇集到我们国家的首都来的。我们共和国的缔造者草拟宪法和独立宣言的气壮山河的词句时,曾向每一个美国人许下了诺言。他们承诺给予所有的人以生存、自由和追求幸福的不可剥夺的权利。

就有色公民而论,美国显然没有实践她的诺言。美国没有履行这项神圣的义务,只是给黑人开了一张空头支票,支票上盖着「资金不足」的戳子后便退了回来。但是我们不相信正义的银行已经破产。我们不相信,在这个国家巨大的机会之库里已没有足够的储备。因此今天我们要求将支票兑现--这张支票将给予我们宝贵的自由和正义的保障。

我们来到这个圣地也是为了提醒美国,现在是非常急迫的时刻。现在决非侈谈冷静下来或服用渐进主义的镇静剂的时候。现在是实现民主的诺言的时候。现在是从种族隔离的荒凉阴暗的深谷攀登种族平等的光明大道的时候。现在是向上帝所有的儿女开放机会之门的时候。现在是把我们的国家从种族不平等的流沙中拯救出来,置于兄弟情谊的盘石上的时候。

如果美国忽视时间的迫切性和低估黑人的决心,那么,这对美国来说,将是致命伤。自由和平等的爽朗秋天如不到来,黑人义愤填膺的酷暑就不会过去。一九六三年并不意味着斗争的结束,而是开始。有人希望,黑人只要消消气就会满足;如果国家安之若素,毫无反应,这些人必会大失所望的。黑人得不到公民的权利,美国就不可能有安宁或平静。正义的光明的一天不到来,叛乱的旋风就将继续动摇这个国家的基础。

但是对于等候在正义之宫门口的心急如焚的人们,有些话我是必须说的。在争取合法地位的过程中,我们不要采取错误的做法。我们不要为了满足对自由的渴望而抱着敌对和仇恨之杯痛饮。我们斗争时必须求远举止得体,纪律严明。我们不能容许我们的具有崭新内容的抗议蜕变为暴力行动。我们要不断地升华到以精神力量对付物质力量的崇高境界中去。

现在黑人社会充满着了不起的新的战斗精神,但是我们却不能因此而不信任所有的白人。因为我们的许多白人兄弟已经认识到,他们的命运与我们的命运是紧密相连的,他们今天参加游行集会就是明证。他们的自由与我们的自由是息息相关的。我们不能单独行动。

当我们行动时,我们必须保证向前进。我们不能倒退。现在有人问热心民权运动的人,「你们什么时候才能满足?」

只要黑人仍然遭受警察难以形容的野蛮迫害,我们就绝不会满足。

只要我们在外奔波而疲乏的身躯不能在公路旁的汽车旅馆和城里的旅馆找到住宿之所,我们就绝不会满足。

只要黑人的基本活动范围只是从少数民族聚居的小贫民区转移到大贫民区,我们就绝不会满足。

只要密西西比仍然有一个黑人不能参加选举,只要纽约有一个黑人认为他投票无济于事,我们就绝不会满足。

不!我们现在并不满足,我们将来也不满足,除非正义和公正犹如江海之波涛,汹涌澎湃,滚滚而来。

我并非没有注意到,参加今天集会的人中,有些受尽苦难和折磨;有些刚刚走出窄小的牢房;有些由于寻求自由,曾在居住地惨遭疯狂迫害的打击,并在警察暴行的旋风中摇摇欲坠。你们是人为痛苦的长期受难者。坚持下去吧,要坚决相信,忍受不应得的痛苦是一种赎罪。

让我们回到密西西比去,回到阿拉巴马去,回到南卡罗来纳去,回到乔治亚去,回到路易斯安那去,回到我们北方城市中的贫民区和少数民族居住区去,要心中有数,这种状况是能够也必将改变的。我们不要陷入绝望而不克自拔。

朋友们,今天我对你们说,在此时此刻,我们虽然遭受种种困难和挫折,我仍然有一个梦想。这个梦想是深深扎根于美国的梦想中的。

我梦想有一天,这个国家会站立起来,真正实现其信条的真谛:「我们认为这些真理是不言而喻的:人人生而平等。」

我梦想有一天,在乔治亚的红山上,昔日奴隶的儿子将能够和昔日奴隶主的儿子坐在一起,共叙兄弟情谊。

我梦想有一天,甚至连密西西比州这个正义匿迹,压迫成风,如同沙漠般的地方,也将变成自由和正义的绿洲。

我梦想有一天,我的四个孩子将在一个不是以他们的肤色,而是以他们的品格优劣来评价他们的国度里生活。

我今天有一个梦想。

我梦想有一天,亚拉巴马州能够有所转变,尽管该州州长现在仍然满口异议,反对联邦法令,但有朝一日,那里的黑人男孩和女孩将能与白人男孩和女孩情同骨肉,携手并进。

我今天有一个梦想。

我梦想有一天,幽谷上升,高山下降,坎坷曲折之路成坦途,圣光披露,满照人间。

这就是我们的希望。我怀着这种信念回到南方。有了这个信念,我们将能从绝望之嶙劈出一块希望之石。有了这个信念,我们将能把这个国家刺耳争吵的声,改变成为一支洋溢手足之情的优美交响曲。

有了这个信念,我们将能一起工作,一起祈祷,一起斗争,一起坐牢,一起维护自由;因为我们知道,终有一天,我们是会自由的。

在自由到来的那一天,上帝的所有儿女们将以新的含义高唱这支歌:「我的祖国,美丽的自由之乡,我为您歌唱。您是父辈逝去的地方,您是最初移民的骄傲,让自由之声响彻每个山岗。」

如果美国要成为一个伟大的国家,这个梦想必须实现。让自由之声从新罕布什尔州的巍峨峰巅响起来!让自由之声从纽约州的崇山峻岭响起来?让自由之声从宾夕法尼亚州阿勒格尼山的顶峰响起来!

让自由之声从科罗拉多州冰雪覆盖的洛基山响起来!让自由之声从加利福尼亚州蜿蜒的群峰响起来?不仅如此,还要让自由之声从乔治亚州的石嶙响起来?让自由之声从田纳西州的瞭望山响起来!

让自由之声从密西西比的每一座丘陵响起来?让自由之声从每一片山坡响起来。

当我们让自由之声响起来,让自由之声从每一个大小村庄、每一个州和每一个城市响起来时,我们将能够加速这一天的到来,那时,上帝的所有儿女,黑人和白人,犹太教徒和非犹太教徒,耶稣教徒和天主教徒,都将手携手,合唱一首古老的黑人灵歌:「终于自由啦!终于自由啦!感谢全能的上帝,我们终于自由啦!」

评分

参与人数 1军饷 +10 收起 理由
月公爵 + 10

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-5-31 18:15:06 | 显示全部楼层
《老兵不死》——麦克阿瑟的告别演讲
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away

Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, and Distinguished Members of the Congress:

I stand on this rostrum with a sense of deep humility and great pride -- humility in the weight of those great American architects of our history who have stood here before me; pride in the reflection that this home of legislative debate represents human liberty in the purest form yet devised. Here are centered the hopes and aspirations and faith of the entire human race. I do not stand here as advocate for any partisan cause, for the issues are fundamental and reach quite beyond the realm of partisan consideration. They must be resolved on the highest plane of national interest if our course is to prove sound and our future protected. I trust, therefore, that you will do me the justice of receiving that which I have to say as solely expressing the considered viewpoint of a fellow American.

I address you with neither rancor nor bitterness in the fading twilight of life, with but one purpose in mind: to serve my country. The issues are global and so interlocked that to consider the problems of one sector, oblivious to those of another, is but to court disaster for the whole. While Asia is commonly referred to as the Gateway to Europe, it is no less true that Europe is the Gateway to Asia, and the broad influence of the one cannot fail to have its impact upon the other. There are those who claim our strength is inadequate to protect on both fronts, that we cannot divide our effort. I can think of no greater expression of defeatism. If a potential enemy can divide his strength on two fronts, it is for us to counter his effort. The Communist threat is a global one. Its successful advance in one sector threatens the destruction of every other sector. You can not appease or otherwise surrender to communism in Asia without simultaneously undermining our efforts to halt its advance in Europe.

Beyond pointing out these general truisms, I shall confine my discussion to the general areas of Asia. Before one may objectively assess the situation now existing there, he must comprehend something of Asia's past and the revolutionary changes which have marked her course up to the present. Long exploited by the so-called colonial powers, with little opportunity to achieve any degree of social justice, individual dignity, or a higher standard of life such as guided our own noble administration in the Philippines, the peoples of Asia found their opportunity in the war just past to throw off the shackles of colonialism and now see the dawn of new opportunity, a heretofore unfelt dignity, and the self-respect of political freedom.

Mustering half of the earth's population, and 60 percent of its natural resources these peoples are rapidly consolidating a new force, both moral and material, with which to raise the living standard and erect adaptations of the design of modern progress to their own distinct cultural environments. Whether one adheres to the concept of colonization or not, this is the direction of Asian progress and it may not be stopped. It is a corollary to the shift of the world economic frontiers as the whole epicenter of world affairs rotates back toward the area whence it started.

In this situation, it becomes vital that our own country orient its policies in consonance with this basic evolutionary condition rather than pursue a course blind to the reality that the colonial era is now past and the Asian peoples covet the right to shape their own free destiny. What they seek now is friendly guidance, understanding, and support -- not imperious direction -- the dignity of equality and not the shame of subjugation. Their pre-war standard of life, pitifully low, is infinitely lower now in the devastation left in war's wake. World ideologies play little part in Asian thinking and are little understood. What the peoples strive for is the opportunity for a little more food in their stomachs, a little better clothing on their backs, a little firmer roof over their heads, and the realization of the normal nationalist urge for political freedom. These political-social conditions have but an indirect bearing upon our own national security, but do form a backdrop to contemporary planning which must be thoughtfully considered if we are to avoid the pitfalls of unrealism.

Of more direct and immediately bearing upon our national security are the changes wrought in the strategic potential of the Pacific Ocean in the course of the past war. Prior thereto the western strategic frontier of the United States lay on the literal line of the Americas, with an exposed island salient extending out through Hawaii, Midway, and Guam to the Philippines. That salient proved not an outpost of strength but an avenue of weakness along which the enemy could and did attack.

The Pacific was a potential area of advance for any predatory force intent upon striking at the bordering land areas. All this was changed by our Pacific victory. Our strategic frontier then shifted to embrace the entire Pacific Ocean, which became a vast moat to protect us as long as we held it. Indeed, it acts as a protective shield for all of the Americas and all free lands of the Pacific Ocean area. We control it to the shores of Asia by a chain of islands extending in an arc from the Aleutians to the Mariannas held by us and our free allies. From this island chain we can dominate with sea and air power every Asiatic port from Vladivostok to Singapore -- with sea and air power every port, as I said, from Vladivostok to Singapore -- and prevent any hostile movement into the Pacific.

Any predatory attack from Asia must be an amphibious effort.* No amphibious force can be successful without control of the sea lanes and the air over those lanes in its avenue of advance. With naval and air supremacy and modest ground elements to defend bases, any major attack from continental Asia toward us or our friends in the Pacific would be doomed to failure.

Under such conditions, the Pacific no longer represents menacing avenues of approach for a prospective invader. It assumes, instead, the friendly aspect of a peaceful lake. Our line of defense is a natural one and can be maintained with a minimum of military effort and expense. It envisions no attack against anyone, nor does it provide the bastions essential for offensive operations, but properly maintained, would be an invincible defense against aggression. The holding of this literal defense line in the western Pacific is entirely dependent upon holding all segments thereof; for any major breach of that line by an unfriendly power would render vulnerable to determined attack every other major segment.

This is a military estimate as to which I have yet to find a military leader who will take exception. For that reason, I have strongly recommended in the past, as a matter of military urgency, that under no circumstances must Formosa fall under Communist control. Such an eventuality would at once threaten the freedom of the Philippines and the loss of Japan and might well force our western frontier back to the coast of California, Oregon and Washington.

To understand the changes which now appear upon the Chinese mainland, one must understand the changes in Chinese character and culture over the past 50 years. China, up to 50 years ago, was completely non-homogenous, being compartmented into groups divided against each other. The war-making tendency was almost non-existent, as they still followed the tenets of the Confucian ideal of pacifist culture. At the turn of the century, under the regime of Chang Tso Lin, efforts toward greater homogeneity produced the start of a nationalist urge. This was further and more successfully developed under the leadership of Chiang Kai-Shek, but has been brought to its greatest fruition under the present regime to the point that it has now taken on the character of a united nationalism of increasingly dominant, aggressive tendencies.

Through these past 50 years the Chinese people have thus become militarized in their concepts and in their ideals. They now constitute excellent soldiers, with competent staffs and commanders. This has produced a new and dominant power in Asia, which, for its own purposes, is allied with Soviet Russia but which in its own concepts and methods has become aggressively imperialistic, with a lust for expansion and increased power normal to this type of imperialism.

There is little of the ideological concept either one way or another in the Chinese make-up. The standard of living is so low and the capital accumulation has been so thoroughly dissipated by war that the masses are desperate and eager to follow any leadership which seems to promise the alleviation of local stringencies.

I have from the beginning believed that the Chinese Communists' support of the North Koreans was the dominant one. Their interests are, at present, parallel with those of the Soviet. But I believe that the aggressiveness recently displayed not only in Korea but also in Indo-China and Tibet and pointing potentially toward the South reflects predominantly the same lust for the expansion of power which has animated every would-be conqueror since the beginning of time.

The Japanese people, since the war, have undergone the greatest reformation recorded in modern history. With a commendable will, eagerness to learn, and marked capacity to understand, they have, from the ashes left in war's wake, erected in Japan an edifice dedicated to the supremacy of individual liberty and personal dignity; and in the ensuing process there has been created a truly representative government committed to the advance of political morality, freedom of economic enterprise, and social justice.

Politically, economically, and socially Japan is now abreast of many free nations of the earth and will not again fail the universal trust. That it may be counted upon to wield a profoundly beneficial influence over the course of events in Asia is attested by the magnificent manner in which the Japanese people have met the recent challenge of war, unrest, and confusion surrounding them from the outside and checked communism within their own frontiers without the slightest slackening in their forward progress. I sent all four of our occupation divisions to the Korean battlefront without the slightest qualms as to the effect of the resulting power vacuum upon Japan. The results fully justified my faith. I know of no nation more serene, orderly, and industrious, nor in which higher hopes can be entertained for future constructive service in the advance of the human race.

Of our former ward, the Philippines, we can look forward in confidence that the existing unrest will be corrected and a strong and healthy nation will grow in the longer aftermath of war's terrible destructiveness. We must be patient and understanding and never fail them -- as in our hour of need, they did not fail us. A Christian nation, the Philippines stand as a mighty bulwark of Christianity in the Far East, and its capacity for high moral leadership in Asia is unlimited.

On Formosa, the government of the Republic of China has had the opportunity to refute by action much of the malicious gossip which so undermined the strength of its leadership on the Chinese mainland. The Formosan people are receiving a just and enlightened administration with majority representation on the organs of government, and politically, economically, and socially they appear to be advancing along sound and constructive lines.

With this brief insight into the surrounding areas, I now turn to the Korean conflict. While I was not consulted prior to the President's decision to intervene in support of the Republic of Korea, that decision from a military standpoint, proved a sound one, as we hurled back the invader and decimated his forces. Our victory was complete, and our objectives within reach, when Red China intervened with numerically superior ground forces.

This created a new war and an entirely new situation, a situation not contemplated when our forces were committed against the North Korean invaders; a situation which called for new decisions in the diplomatic sphere to permit the realistic adjustment of military strategy.

Such decisions have not been forthcoming.

While no man in his right mind would advocate sending our ground forces into continental China, and such was never given a thought, the new situation did urgently demand a drastic revision of strategic planning if our political aim was to defeat this new enemy as we had defeated the old.

Apart from the military need, as I saw It, to neutralize the sanctuary protection given the enemy north of the Yalu, I felt that military necessity in the conduct of the war made necessary: first the intensification of our economic blockade against China; two the imposition of a naval blockade against the China coast; three removal of restrictions on air reconnaissance of China's coastal areas and of Manchuria; four removal of restrictions on the forces of the Republic of China on Formosa, with logistical support to contribute to their effective operations against the common enemy.

For entertaining these views, all professionally designed to support our forces committed to Korea and bring hostilities to an end with the least possible delay and at a saving of countless American and allied lives, I have been severely criticized in lay circles, principally abroad, despite my understanding that from a military standpoint the above views have been fully shared in the past by practically every military leader concerned with the Korean campaign, including our own Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I called for reinforcements but was informed that reinforcements were not available. I made clear that if not permitted to destroy the enemy built-up bases north of the Yalu, if not permitted to utilize the friendly Chinese Force of some 600,000 men on Formosa, if not permitted to blockade the China coast to prevent the Chinese Reds from getting succor from without, and if there were to be no hope of major reinforcements, the position of the command from the military standpoint forbade victory.

We could hold in Korea by constant maneuver and in an approximate area where our supply line advantages were in balance with the supply line disadvantages of the enemy, but we could hope at best for only an indecisive campaign with its terrible and constant attrition upon our forces if the enemy utilized its full military potential. I have constantly called for the new political decisions essential to a solution.

Efforts have been made to distort my position. It has been said, in effect, that I was a warmonger. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know war as few other men now living know it, and nothing to me is more revolting. I have long advocated its complete abolition, as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a means of settling international disputes. Indeed, on the second day of September, nineteen hundred and forty-five, just following the surrender of the Japanese nation on the Battleship Missouri, I formally cautioned as follows:

"Men since the beginning of time have
          sought peace. Various methods through the
          ages have been attempted to devise an
          international process to prevent or settle
          disputes between nations. From the very
          start workable methods were found in so
          far as individual citizens were concerned,
          but the mechanics of an instrumentality of
          larger international scope have never
          been successful. Military alliances,
          balances of power, Leagues of Nations,
          all in turn failed, leaving the only path to
          be by way of the crucible of war. The
          utter destructiveness of war now blocks
          out this alternative. We have had our last
          chance. If we will not devise some
          greater and more equitable system,
          Armageddon will be at our door. The
          problem basically is theological and
          involves a spiritual recrudescence and
          improvement of human character that will
          synchronize with our almost matchless
          advances in science, art, literature, and all
          material and cultural developments of
          the past 2000 years. It must be of the spirit
          if we are to save the flesh."   

But once war is forced upon us, there is no other alternative than to apply every available means to bring it to a swift end.

War's very object is victory, not prolonged indecision.

In war there is no substitute for victory.

There are some who, for varying reasons, would appease Red China. They are blind to history's clear lesson, for history teaches with unmistakable emphasis that appeasement but begets new and bloodier war. It points to no single instance where this end has justified that means, where appeasement has led to more than a sham peace. Like blackmail, it lays the basis for new and successively greater demands until, as in blackmail, violence becomes the only other alternative.

"Why," my soldiers asked of me, "surrender military advantages to an enemy in the field?" I could not answer.

Some may say: to avoid spread of the conflict into an all-out war with China; others, to avoid Soviet intervention. Neither explanation seems valid, for China is already engaging with the maximum power it can commit, and the Soviet will not necessarily mesh its actions with our moves. Like a cobra, any new enemy will more likely strike whenever it feels that the relativity in military or other potential is in its favor on a world-wide basis.

The tragedy of Korea is further heightened by the fact that its military action is confined to its territorial limits. It condemns that nation, which it is our purpose to save, to suffer the devastating impact of full naval and air bombardment while the enemy's sanctuaries are fully protected from such attack and devastation.

Of the nations of the world, Korea alone, up to now, is the sole one which has risked its all against communism. The magnificence of the courage and fortitude of the Korean people defies description.

They have chosen to risk death rather than slavery. Their last words to me were: "Don't scuttle the Pacific!"

I have just left your fighting sons in Korea. They have met all tests there, and I can report to you without reservation that they are splendid in every way.

It was my constant effort to preserve them and end this savage conflict honorably and with the least loss of time and a minimum sacrifice of life. Its growing bloodshed has caused me the deepest anguish and anxiety.

Those gallant men will remain often in my thoughts and in my prayers always.

I am closing my 52 years of military service. When I joined the Army, even before the turn of the century, it was the fulfillment of all of my boyish hopes and dreams. The world has turned over many times since I took the oath on the plain at West Point, and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished, but I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Good Bye.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-6-2 21:13:56 | 显示全部楼层
(古罗马)安东尼公元前44年
公我今天来,是来安葬恺撒,并不是来赞扬他的功德。我看人生在世,"好事入泥沙,坏事传千古"这句话无异是为恺撒说的。布鲁图斯是一个高尚的人,他告诉你们,说恺撒的野心勃勃,若果真是如此,自然是恺撒的大错,恺撒已死,也算是已偿了他的债了。我今天承布鲁图斯的好意,准我演说,所以我得在恺撒的灵前说几句话。
布鲁图斯真可算是一好人,他们同谋的人也都是好人,恺撒原来是我的至交,待我忠厚公平;但是照布鲁图斯这样的好人,偏说他私怀野心,他从前曾获胜边疆,所得的财帛都归入国库,难道这算是野心吗?他听着穷人的叫唤,也曾经流下泪来,有野心的人,未必有这样慈悲。但是布鲁图斯一定要说他有野心,而布鲁图斯又是一个好人,我有什么法子和他辩呢!那天过节的时候,你们眼睁睁地看着,我三次皇冕劝进,他三次拒绝。这也算野心么?但是布鲁图斯一定说他有野心,而布鲁图斯又确是一个好人,你看有什么法子呢!我并不是说布鲁斯的话说得不对,我不过是知道什么便说说什么罢了。从前的时候,你们大家都曾爱戴过恺撒。你们爱戴他,并不是无因。现在他死了,你们都没有人替他伤心,这件事我真不解。唉!天良呀!你跑到禽兽身上去了么!人的理性都丧失尽了么!唉!我的心现在已到恺撒棺材里面去了!我要等他回来才能再说话了!(安东尼说到这个地方,就大哭起来,停住不讲;看看市民在下面议论,有的说:"有理,"有的说:"恺撒真受了冤枉。"于是安东尼又接着说。)
唉!昨天的恺撒一句话足以翻天覆地,何等尊严!哪知道今天躺在这里,无人睬他。啊!若是我要把你们的心激动起来,那我一定对不起布鲁图斯,我一定对不起布鲁图斯的同谋开西友斯了。他们是好人,我哪里敢这样!我情愿对不起已死的人,我情愿对不起自己,对不起你们大家;不情愿对不起他们这些好人。但是我这里有一张羊皮纸,是我在恺撒的卧房里找出来的.这就是他的遗书,他这里面的话,我不愿意读出来;要是我读出来,哪怕愚夫愚妇听见,恐怕也要去对尸痛哭,拿帕子去溅他的圣血。唉!恐怕还要在他身上求一根毛发,拿回家去做纪念品;到了死的时候,还传给子孙,看作宝贝一样呢!(安东尼讲到这里,下面即有人叫道:"请你读遗书给我们听。"他又接着说。)
你们不要性急,我万不能读给你们听。我若使你们知道恺撒待你们的厚道,恐怕要坏事,你们不是一条木桩,不是一块石头,你们是人!人听了恺撒这些话,心里一定要烧起来,一定要变成疯子,你们不知道你们是恺撒的后嗣,倒是很好;如果让你们知道,我就不知道要闹出什么事来了!(说到这里,下面又有人叫他读遗书,他接着说。)
难道你们现在一定要听么?你们等一会都等不了么?我很懊悔我的口太快了,错把这件事告诉你们了。我自己不觉得,恐怕已经对不起那些杀恺撒的好人了,不该!不该!(下面有人说:"什么好人!他们是乱贼!是坏蛋!你读遗书吧!"安东尼接着说。)
难道你们要逼我读么?那么就请你们站开。在恺撒尸首的侧边站成一个圈子,让我把那写遗书的人,指给你们看。你们准我下来么?(下面有人叫"下来,"安东尼便下演说台,指着尸首哭说。)
你们若要流眼泪。现在便是你们流眼泪的时候了!这件大袍(指着恺撒的袍)你们大家都知道的。我还记得恺撒第一次穿上这件大袍的时候,是在夏天一个晚上,那天就是他征服内尔微的一天。现在你看,开西友斯的刀子,从这里穿进去;你看,还有一个与布鲁图斯同谋的人加斯加。用这样毒手,杀了偌大一个口子;你们看,这个地方就是恺撒所宠爱的布鲁图斯所杀的,你看他刀子抽出来的时候,恺撒鲜血淋漓,他好像跑出大门来问问恺撒那样地爱布鲁图斯。难道布鲁图斯也忍心来行刺么?啊!天知道!地知道!恺撒是何等地爱布鲁图斯!这一刀真是最无情的一刀,当时恺撒看见他竟来杀自己,恺撒心里受"无情"两字的伤,比刀伤还更厉害。简直气得心碎胆裂,鲜血长流,倒在罗马将军的旁边的石像下面,脸也被大袍子盖上了。唉!诸君啊!试想一想是怎样大的一个冤劫呵!照这样杀人放火.你我都在冤劫之中呵!啊!你们也哭起来了么!我也看出你们也知道心痛了啊!大家同洒伤心之泪!你们这些良心未死的人,才看见恺撒的衣服,就这样哭,你们还没有看见他尸首哪。他的尸首在这里,你们看,被这些大逆不道的叛贼弄得不像样了!(说到这个地方,下面的人大哭大怒,大喊大叫起来,都骂布鲁图斯,要为恺撒报仇,安东尼又接着说。)
诸位好朋友,不要忙,不要因为我讲这些话,就把你们大家都激成这个样子。杀恺撒的人,都是些好人。他们有什么私仇、隐怨,做到了这一步,我实在不知道。但是他们既是好人,聪明厚道,定有他们的道理向你们讲。朋友们,我来并不是煽动你们的心。我不会说话。没有布鲁图斯那种口才。你们谁不知道我是一个忠厚老实的人,只知爱我朋友。就是杀恺撒的人,已深知我是这样,所以才肯让我当众演说。我一无聪明,二无门第,既无口才,又无手段,哪里能激动人心。我说话只是顺口乱说,自己知什么就和你们说什么。你们看恺撒的伤,请这些已经哑了的嘴,替我嘴说话。唉!如果我是布鲁图斯,布鲁图斯是我安东尼呢,我怕那个安东尼硬要把你们激动起来,我怕他要在恺撒的每个伤口上都栽一个舌头,简直能把罗马的顽石都说得跳起来,烧起来呢!(说到这里,下面的人愈怒,要去烧布鲁图斯的房子。安东尼又接着说。)
朋友们,再听我说几句话。你们现在只是要跑,跑去干什么,你们自己也不知道。我问你们,恺撒为什么值得你们这样爱戴呢?哈哈!你们还是不知道,听我告诉你们:我先前不是说有一个遗书么?你们居然忘记了。遗书就在这里,书上有恺撒的印。凡是罗马的人,每人他都给七十五个"抓黑码钱"花的;花园树林,在泰伯尔河这边岸上的,也都送给你们,送给你们的子子孙孙,永远作为公共游乐,大家享福的地方。
唉!照恺撒这样的人,世间哪里还找得出第二个来呢!(说到这个地方,市民便要去烧房子报仇了,安东尼的目的,终于达到。)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2007-6-2 21:17:44 | 显示全部楼层
(委内瑞拉)玻利瓦尔1821年10月3日
先生:
刚才我以哥伦比亚总统身份所作的神圣宣誓对我来说是一个道德协定,它成倍地增加了我服从法律和听命祖国的义务。只是出于对最高意志的深切尊重,才迫使我接受了最高行政权力的巨大任务。此外,我对人民的代表们的感激心情,要求我接受这一令人欣愉的使命,继续以我的财产、我的鲜血、乃至我的尊严提供服务,保卫这部关系到由自由、幸福和荣誉联结起来的两个兄弟人民的权利的宪法。与独立一起,哥伦比亚宪法将开创一个神圣的纪元,我愿在这一事业中作出牺牲。为此我将走遍哥伦比亚的各个角落,去粉碎厄瓜多尔国民们的枷锁,并在他们获得自由以后,邀请他们加入哥伦比亚。
先生,我期望你们授权与我,以仁慈的纽带联合由天地万物和上帝赐予兄弟情谊的各国人民。在以你们的智慧和我的热忱完成这项工程以后,除了和平以外,再给予哥伦比亚所需的一切:幸福、安逸和荣誉方面,我们什么也不缺了。先生,到那时候,我热切地希望,不要对我的良知和名誉大声疾呼地要求我只当一名普通公民的呼声充耳不闻。我感觉到了放弃共和国首脑职位的必要性。人民把这个职位视为心灵的元首。我在战争中成长,是一个由历次战斗推上元首职位的人,命运支撑我,胜利确认我留在这个地位上。但是,这些并不是由法律、幸运和民族意志认可的资格。曾经统治哥伦比亚的利剑不是阿斯特雷亚的天平,而是对邪恶天性的鞭笞。有时,天国让这种邪恶降临人间,以惩罚独裁者和警戒各国人民。在和平的日子里,这把利剑没有任何用处。和平来到之日,应该是我的权力结束之时,因为我曾经如此发过誓,对哥伦比亚作过许诺,也成为在一个人民不能确保行使其权力的地方,是不会有共和制度的。像我这样的人,在一个平民政府中任职是危险的,是对国家主权的直接威胁。为了自身的自由,也为了大家的自由,我愿做一个公民。我宁要公民的身份而不要解放者的称号,因为解放者的称号源于战争,而公民的身份来自法律。先生,请你们把我的一切头衔改为优秀公民的称号吧。
相关资料
玻利瓦尔(1783-1830年),拉丁美洲独立运动的民族英雄。他领导了六个国家(委内瑞拉、哥伦比亚、厄瓜多尔、巴拿马、秘鲁、玻利维亚)的独立战争,身经472次战斗,经过艰难曲折的斗争,终于推翻了长达300年之久的西班牙殖民统治,他被誉为拉丁美洲的"解放者"。
1819年,玻利瓦尔率领部队从安哥斯徒拉山出发,沿途穿过1200公里的原始森林,翻越终年积雪的安第斯山之险,历尽千辛万苦,解放了新格拉纳达。接着,玻利瓦尔向盘踞在哥伦比亚境内的殖民军发起进攻,在玻亚米战役中大获全胜,西班牙指挥者巴雷罗和大部分军官以及1600名士兵被俘。根据玻利瓦尔的建议,委内瑞拉同格拉纳达联合成立哥伦比亚共和国,玻利瓦尔当选为共和国的最高统帅和总统。本篇演说就是玻利瓦尔在总统就职典礼上发表的。
玻利瓦尔出生于委内瑞拉的加拉加斯城。他的父亲拥有金矿、糖厂、牧场、庄园和许多豪华别墅。尽管玻利瓦尔是个土生白人,家庭又富有,但在西班牙殖民当局的淫威下,他改变不了政治上"二等公民"的社会地位。这种屈辱使玻利瓦尔从年轻时就萌发了反殖民统治的思想,他曾发出这样的誓言,"为了祖国,我宣誓,不砸烂西班牙统治者套在我们身上的枷锁,我身心永不安息。"可是,玻利瓦尔领导的武装起义,屡次遭到失败,在斗争中,他终于认识到,没有民众支持,不吸引各地区爱国力量积极参加斗争,要取得胜利是不可能的。由于吸取了教训,被奴役的贫苦大众纷纷参加爱国军,各地起义部队和游击队,也纷纷投到玻利瓦尔的旗帜下,使西班牙殖民军陷于彻底孤立。共和国的成立,作出巨大贡献的是民众,在就任共和国总统时,玻利瓦尔并未忘记这一点。他指出接受总统这一职务,一方面是出于对于"最高意志的深切尊重",另一方面也是对于"人民代表的感激之情"。受到人民的拥戴,玻利瓦尔并没有像有些胜利者那样忘乎所以,而是感到肩头上担负着重大使命,认为当选共和国总统"成倍地增加了服务于法律和听命于祖国的义务。"演讲的这一部分语调庄重,言词深沉有力,充满着庄严感和神圣感。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 入伍

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|中国拿破仑

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 07:48 , Processed in 0.028722 second(s), 18 queries .